Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Letters to the Editor - The Crescent News

Dear Students,

Below are two Letters to the Editor from my hometown's daily newspaper, The Crescent News. I am sharing them as they exhibit two different political view points (but not the only ones for either party, mind you), but also because we are in the midst of discussing our own projects this week and I thought there is some discussable behavior. As we discuss religion, spirituality and myth and where it appears in culture . . . and in what forms . . . below are two fine examples of 1) myth and 2) religion  and how they enter into the political forum. 

Also, I was looking on the website after hearing that John McCain is giving a rally Thursday morning on the steps of the Junior High auditorium in my hometown of Defiance, Ohio! 

First Letter:

We all need each other

I love my country and I believe this is one of the most important elections that we will have in my lifetime. Our country faces huge challenges which will affect each one of us of voting age, as well as our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

My concern is what comes after the election. Recently, I received a robotic call from the RNC telling me that Sen. Obama is a terrorist. It's one thing to draw differences between policies and maybe even stretch the truth a bit. But to accuse a United States senator, a presidential candidate of being a terrorist -- knowing full well that it's not true -- and also knowing that a small minority may believe it, that's not only irresponsible, but it could be dangerous for him personally.

Why is John McCain willing to say that when he knows it isn't true? Sen. McCain has said quite frequently "country first." It seems to me that he's more than willing to continue the slash and burn politics that divide us and ultimately sacrifice the strength of our great country which is its people -- Republican and Democrat, Independent and Green Party. How will that help us go forward? How will that help us work together and do what we need to do to get us out of the mess we're in?

These types of personal and false attacks that we've seen recently are how we ended up with George Bush. Our country is more divided today than ever. Remember when George Bush said, "I'm a uniter, not a divider." Well, Sen. McCain is not bringing us up together either. He's going down that same old path.

We will need to be together to face our future, but instead he's saying anything -- some quite outrageous things in fact -- to get elected. I plead with the citizens of Defiance: Think country first. Don't let the fear mongering and lies continue to divide us. We all need each other in the years to come.

Barbara LaForce

Defiance


Second Letter:

Who do Christians want to be president?

Who shall we vote for? What is the most important issue on the ballot? Where does the candidate stand on biblical scripture?

Why vote for the candidate who professes to be a Christian but does not take action against abortion nor stand up for the institution of marriage between one man and one woman? Voting for the candidate who takes no action against these two issues, supports abortion and homosexuality.

If you are a Christian read Proverbs 6:16-17, Romans 1:27, Leviticus 20:13 and then think before you act. Who do you want to be the leader of country?

Emma Brandt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting how passionate everyone gets over presidential elections, including myself. Especially this election where it seems as though the gate of our country is at stake. I also find it interesting how much people place their vote on issues like abortion and gay marriage, as if voting for the person who is against or for these two will the very nature of our country. Why do so many let their emotions choose their electoral candidate rather than what would be best for the country. We've seen what happens when people let their emotions get the best of them in this situation, we've experienced it for 8 years now. I understand that people have their beliefs. What aggravates me is that people consider this "God's Country" from a Christian view point. It's God's country just as long as it follows the christian belief system. Now I'm not atheist or agnostic, but I've grown up in both a jewish and christian home and continue to vote democratic. Being primarily raised Jewish I've learned how to question things and yet view my religion as well as others with a learning standpoint. I want to know things to strengthen my beliefs, which is something I've only experience negativity from in the christian religion. So I guess what I'm really asking is how and why should we let something so substantial as the future of our country lie on blind faith and not serious educational thought.

Feel happy now Chris I left you a comment. This is basically what I wanted to bring up in class and didn't really get a chance to.

-Jon

Savs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Savs said...

I find your insight on this interesting Jon. I'd like to add to this by commenting on how interesting it is to see different cultural reactions to politics; as in how people and their ethnicity and how they talk about politics. Weather it be in a casual conversation with ease or with a tense reaction, with will to understand the "other side's" views or with blind faith and arrogance. This obviously falls into stereotyping but if looked at closer there is definitely a pattern that would be really interesting to explore further.

Sal